The Local Amateur Musical PlayerS
Fiddler on the Roof 2003
Beauty & the Beast 2010
Putting on the Glitz 2012
Half a Sixpence 1984
The story of the Local Amateur Musical PlayerS (LAMPS) began in 1927 when rugby players from The Judd School in Tunbridge took to the boards with a concert to raise money. Their first production entitled "Query?" was penned by an ex-pupil,
Charles Barkaway and raised £35 (£508 today).
Encouraged by their success, the props and forwards continued to play male and female roles until they were joined by pupils from Tonbridge Girls' Grammar School.
The company soon became independent from the rugby club and in 1931 a committee was formed and charged with finding a name. It could have been TOADS - Tonbridge Operatic and Dramatic Society, but LAMPS prevailed and the society continued to evolve.
Performing their first pantomime, 'Queen of Hearts' at The Medway Hall, proceeds from the show went to the Tonbridge Cottage Hospital. Moving to the Repertory Theatre in 1938 (later The Playhouse) LAMPS went dark for a decade at the outbreak of the Second World War and moved to The Royal Victoria Hall in Southborough in 1956.
LAMPS performed their last performance at The Royal Victoria Hall in 2014 because sadly The Victoria Hall was demolished soon after. However in 2017 we were warmly welcomed at our new home,
LAMPS have performed over 100 musicals in their 90 year History, many being well known to modern audiences, but some have been lost in the mists of time.
LAMPS are proud to be affiliated to the National Operatic & Dramatic Association of which it has been a member for 70 years.
The Association was established in 1899 to protect and advance the interests of operatic & dramatic art, and the societies engaged therein'.
Join our Mailing List
Join our mailing list and receive news on everything LAMPS.